Saturday, May 21, 2011

Men vs Women: Leaving

I realize I am not very original to comment on the differences between men and women, but I don't care. I have noticed there are very differing methods of leaving a group of people for a somewhat extended time. For a man, they usually go for hand shakes, but due to subtle body language conversations, end up hugging the women.
This can lead to an awkward gay moment. For instance, say he is leaving and happens to say goodbye to a woman first, ending in a hug. Then his next goodbye is to a man, the receiving man might feel obligated to go in for the hug, even if the hand is presented for the shake. The leaving man cannot then refuse this hug, ending in both of them being in a not sought after hug.
When a woman leaves, they tend to just hug everyone. Women like hugs. I'm not sure why, but I can give it a shot. I suppose given they are more emotional, they feel they can impart more of a goodbye-like sentiment than with a hand shake. Men would argue than a firm hand shake and eye-contact ending with a nod of the head conveys just as much, respect the personal space.

No comments:

Post a Comment